Tuesday, January 4, 2011

It's Just Grass Now

Grass. It does not look good. It hasn't fed me yet.
I feed it. Maybe if I became a cow?
I love the beginning of the year. Everything seems possible. It even seems possible that my small back yard in Florida could include a garden. We have a small garden now on the side of our tract house.

What's stopping me?

One of our neighbors might not like it. Our homeowners association forbids cutting the sacred sod without permission. But unless they want to pay my mortgage, I feel at liberty to plant food in my own backyard. I'm going to take the risk. I've been nurturing the lawn for a decade now at great expense and effort and I feel when it comes to grass, less is more.

Some used books that are the start of my gardening library.
I don't want cash from my garden, just food.
I want local and organic food. Our nearest CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) is a half hour drive away and it is expensive. This will be cheaper in the long run, I need the exercise and it doesn't get any more local than your own back yard.

Other tasks call me now but my intent is for this blog to record our journey from grass to garden.

The small side yard garden with lettuce and some frost-bitten
tomatoes. We were surprised at how well the lettuce has done.

2 comments:

  1. Go Craig... Florida can be a challenging place to garden given high humidity & insect pressure. I'm sure you'll have some learning experiences as you "dig" in!

    Stephen

    ReplyDelete